Psalm 44:22

Yet for your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Racism: it is real... let's talk about it


In Lou of the recent Murder of Trayvon Martin I am going to speaking a little bit on the race subject.

Let’s start with a little about me:

I am blessed to be multi-cultural. I am Black, Vietnamese, Indian (East Indian), and Portuguese.
So I can identify with a lot of races; however being multi-cultural/mixed has its benefits and its set- backs.
Some of the benefits include being unique, being able to enjoy a lot of different foods, and also I am more open to diversity than most people (just because my family happens to be very diverse).

Some of the draw-backs include not being able to REALLY identify with any race in particular, people always asking me what I am or even assuming what I am before they know for sure. The other draw-back is my hair, I have a different texture hair, and it’s a mix of all my races. So that means I have a limited amount of things I can do with it, until I learn to manage it.

So yeah to get back on topic, RACE; it is an issue. All my life, I’ve struggled with my identity. According to some, I wasn’t “black enough” and I acted, “white.” Guess it’s because I listen to Metal? On the other hand, white people just identified me as black… and called it a day, they never even tried to get to know me, and understand who I am.

This was frustrating growing up; I had to deal with a lot of hate and racist people. It was hard to love who I was. I tried my hardest to be who I wasn’t… but failed, see because the real you will always come out in time. It wasn’t until I got into high school that I really started loving who I was, and being comfortable in my skin.

Race has always been a difficult issue for me, it make me feel uncomfortable to talk about it. The subject just brings back a lot of painful memories so I try to avoid it as much as possible. Until I went to the discussion in the auditorium about the Trayvon Martin Case; it was such an eye-opener.  Tony Campolo said, “Talking about race and racism is going to be difficult and in fact it may be offensive, but you have to talk about it.” He brought up the point that white and black people need to be educated, when a white person asks a question respond with love and most IMPORTANTLY ANSWER IT.

They might not know and really might be wondering the answer. I remember getting the question, “IS YOUR HAIR REAL?” Oh and, “YOU HAVE BLACK PEOPLE HAIR... RIGHT?” I used to get pissed, because A. it’s a stupid question, and B. it was offensive. But after leaving that discussion I realize that some people are just ignorant and need to be educated. So, I’ve learned that I need to talk… no matter how awkward, or offensive the discussion may get.


So, Ladies How does race fit in to a Biblical context?

Personally, I think God calls us to love one another. Simple as that. There is no criterion specifying who to love, when to love, and things like that. God just says to love. What goes along with love…? RESPECT, respect for DIFFERENCES. It’s simple, if the world loved one another as Jesus loves us… we would not have these cold-blooded killings, and hate passed down from generation to generation. Nor would we know so much suffering, and so much despair.

Ladies, if we want to understand other cultures, ask questions. And if we want people to understand us, answer with love…
I have something for you to try:
Try sitting with people who are different than you, culturally, racially, etc. just different.
Try getting to know them for who they are as a brother/sister in Christ.
I imagine life would be a lot more colorful for you… NO PUN INENDED! Hehe

God Bless Sisters,
Cassie


Verses to Remember

Galatians 3:28-29
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Acts 10:34-35
Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right.

Romans 12:18
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

John 13:34
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Ephesians 4:32
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.




No comments:

Post a Comment